Bhagwan Sri Sathya Sai Special School was started with the objective to help the differently abled children in the society, especially from rural areas. This School is located near Machanapalli village, 5 km away from Jammikunta . The project was established with a strength of 25 children and now there are 95 kids. The classrooms are all well ventilated and equipped with good class room furniture. Mild and moderately affected children in the age group of 6 to 25 years are provided with therapy sessions in speech and physiotherapy by specially trained staff .Vocational training is provided to selected children to build their self confidence and the children are paid stipends to reduce the dependency on their parents who have meagre wages in rural settings. They are trained in personal, social, academics, occupational and recreational areas. The curriculum FACP (Functional Assessment Checklist for Programming) for the training is designed by National Institute for Mentally Handicapped (NIMH), Secunderabad. The training material is specially designed for them by Ed-Craft and National Institute.
ACHIEVEMENTS OF SPECIAL SCHOOL
- The children with special needs are encouraged to participate in all cultural activities. Most of the students participated in district level, inter district, state and national level competitions and won prizes
- Ms. K.Swetha won bronze medal in 100 m running at Chennai in National Games for disabled and won gold medal in 200 m running in state games at Gachibowli stadium.
- Mr. Kota Raju won silver medal in 200m running in state games for disabled
- The School cricket team participated in a week long national cricket coaching camp for disabled held at Anantapur.
- One team participated Bocce game for intellectual disabled help at Gachibowli conducted by the Special Olympics Bharat. In games and cultural competitions there is no bar for our students. Our school students won many number of medals, momentoes , shields and certificates